Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Batch Image Processing: XnView


Who doesn't know IrfanView on Windows? For me IrvanView is an application that saves me on numerous occasion when using simple image editing on Photoshop or Gimp is totally Time Consuming and not worth the purpose.

I'm not saying Photoshop or Gimp is awful image processing, it's just there are certain circumstances that using both application is too much for simple, but massive processing.

Here is for example. Every week, I receive hundreds of images of transaction need to be processed with certain settings, some are:
1. Put watermark image on every single image
2. Reduce the dpi down to 80% to prevent people print them on high resolution.

Rather than using full-featured (not to mention need high computer spec) application like Photoshop and Gimp, I'm looking as simple as possible application that can do what I wanted.

On Windows, I found IrfanView, but on Linux, I just found XnView.

XnView is a multi platform free application, which means, it available on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

I'm not a geek, just common people converting from Windows to Linux, I use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS that never been updated since first install, I'm the type of person that "Don't fix things that did not broken" :D

Struggling finding replacement for IrfanView on Linux, I found XnView mentioned on few forums and struggling installing it.

But then, I read on ubuntu forum archive a simple way to install it. Here is the link: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1919820.html

Here is how to install it via command line:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xnview

After install it, you can find the application on the Application List or just type xnview on the command line.

Try it, but don't ask me to help you troubleshoot, I'm as clueless as you in terms of troubleshooting, I'm just a common people pretending to be a geek :P



No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...